Tuesday, October 2, 2007

As American as...

I am not a baker. I'm not exact, I'm not measured and I'm definitely not predictable. I'm not that great at following directions, and I believe someones got to be different (and that's usually me).

But weirdly enough I want to be a baker. I dream of fresh loves of bread, with perfectly chewy interiors and crisp, crunchy crusts. I imagine holidays filled with savory, sweet pies, the house perfumed by wonderful, homey aromas of cinnamon and nutmeg. I buy book after book on baking, desserts and breadmaking and stare longingly at the pages. But I believe in change and growth and chances.

So I baked a pie.

It's not perfect; the crust didn't brown as much as I would have liked, and pastry is not my specialty, but it's a pie. And it'll taste fine.

And that's enough.

2 comments:

Holly Bee said...

Looks good to me! I never say no to pie! I eat what I bake and it's often named "poison cake" and "might have enough eggs cake" or "hope that worked pie."

Yours looks AWESOME!!!! Plus real cooks/bakers etc don't really measure, it's all a pinch and a dash and 'the right amount.' They just have to write down an amount for people like me who can't cook!

Jesse Palmer said...

The pie sure tasted good to me.